Thursday, December 4, 2008

Fat Guy Post - Granato's Deli

Those of you who know me know that it is very obvious I love food. You don't get an impressive physique like mine without a very real appreciation for different foods. Sure, some guys get fat off Burger King and Funyuns, but those are the exception. Real fat guys know good food.

Today's post deals with the marvelous experience I just had at Granato's Deli in Salt Lake City.

I've been to Granato's before, but each time I go I am overwhelmed at just how awesome this place is. The only thing it doesn't have going for it is the location. The south west side of Salt Lake City (bordered by West Valley) is the armpit of the Wasatch Front. (What does that make Ogden? A discussion for another time perhaps.)

At any rate, although the location for the Salt Lake Granato's is less than desirable for most people, it is close to my office and is possibly even in a nicer neighborhood. (My apologies in advance to those poor souls who live in the Chesterfield neighborhood of Salt Lake/West Valley. I try to not let the three shootings & untold number of stabbings which have occurred within a half mile of my office during the last year reflect poorly on you.)

When you go to Granato's for lunch, you will likely be greeted by Sam Granato, a middle fifties, well dressed man who looks the part of a very successful business man. Sam's father Frank started the importing company bearing the family name, which in due course spawned a few of these deli's. The deli started as just a side off the main shopping area where you can purchase all the imported foods and supplies, but it has steadily grown over the last couple of years to the point where tables are all around the deli counter in the middle of the very large room.

The fare is very authentic deli sandwiches, salads and soups. Instead of some generic "Italian salami" listing, the menu lists sandwiches containing Genoa, Mortadella, and Parma Prosciutto. Most all of the meats are imported from Italy, along with most of the cheeses, olives, and various other ingredients. The breads and rolls are very authentic as well. No "Herb and Cheese" Subway-prepared bread here. Instead you smell and taste the same breads you would find if you were to visit Calabria or Tuscany.

Today, I ordered a Meatball Calzone and a bowl of Chicken Pot Pie soup.
I was very hungry, and thought a little cup of soup would be a bit of a pick-me-up on a cold & dreary day. I was little prepared for the entire tray full of food I received.

My Calzone fully filled one half of a dinner-sized plate, while the other was full of a great salad topped with prosciutto, chunks of mozzarella cheese and crumbles of fresh feta. That was in addition to the large bowl of magnificent Chicken Pot Pie soup, complete with a large roll & crackers. In all, it was far too much food to eat at once, even for a man such as myself.

When Sam wandered by to check on us, I told him that it was too much food, and that I would need to find a box or something. His voice boomed across the room as he jokingly told me to be a man and finish it before moving on and chatting with other diners.

When I had finished my calzone, I rose to go back to the counter and see if I could find some sort of cup in which to take my uneaten soup. I had only taken one step before Sam stopped me and offered to help. I asked if they had something I could use, and he took the tray from me saying "I don't know, but I'll find out!" Within a couple of minutes, he had an employee bring me a wonderful to-go bowl of soup, along with the roll & some crackers all wrapped very nicely in a paper tray.

Once again, I came away very impressed, and can wholeheartedly recommend Granato's to anyone who happens to be in the area. (And even for those who aren't in the area but are feeling adventurous.)

No comments:

Post a Comment