Friday, February 29, 2008

Engineering vs Design

Ran into the following comment today, and it becomes especially relevant to me because as of late, I've been tasked with much creative design work on client websites, despite the fact that my idea of design likely differs greatly from what was wanted.

I've been charged with making a specific user interface style guide for a suite of software by my employer. I'm not quite sure where to start

You don't know where to start because you don't work as a tech writer!

Tell your tightwad boss to pick someone more suited to the task - Even the weenies in Marketing can probably do the task better than an engineer (unless you just happen to have a background in technical writing, but it sounds like that doesn't fit into your job description/requirements).

Geeks can do anything - That doesn't always make us the best person for every job even tangentially related to "computers". If you want me to design a website, I can make it do anything HTML supports, but prepare for a color scheme that makes most people's eyes bleed...

I think that management at my company could use this advice.

I build websites & user interfaces the way I build furniture.

Out of Logs.

It's big, it's clunky, and it works well for its intended purpose, even if it is a bit over-engineered for the task at hand.
While this can be a beauty of its own when building furniture, it is quite something else when it ends up as a user interface.

No comments:

Post a Comment