Monday, August 25, 2008

The measure of a man

There is an old adage which says "If you want to get the true measure of a man, look not at how he treats his equals, but at how he treats his subordinates." I tried to find the actual quote, so I could give proper attribution, but came up with a bunch of apocryphal listings without any indication of whom may have said it first.
(It was even stated in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, when Sirius Black tells Harry that Hermione has a good grasp of Barty Crouch's character.)

In my job as a Constable, I've served several people in high rank of wealth, status, or position in society. Based upon my own limited experiences, I've found that people with real status don't need to flaunt it. It is mostly those who aspire to greater stature that feel the need to tell me just how important they are. For the most part, when I've dealt with someone who truly has wealth, community stature, or other societal importance, they have been very polite and even businesslike with me.

Now I wonder if that is only because I carry a gun.

Just a week ago, the Utah State Senate Majority Leader felt the need to identify himself as such to a poor college student delivering a pizza. She had the nerve to tell him that her employer did not accept personal checks as payment. He must have felt that by virtue of his status in society a simpleton such as a pizza delivery girl would be overwhelmed by his ability to influence... something or other.

News flash: If you have to tell everyone how important you are, you aren't that important.

Unfortunately for him, the poor kid went home and blogged about it. All of a sudden, the news outlets were on this like white on rice.

Now this poor girl has been besieged by people both praising her for her backbone and berating her for tarnishing the sterling reputation of a great and visionary leader.

My advice? If you want to get the true measure of a man, look not at how he treats his equals, but his subordinates.

1 comment:

  1. I will now acredit the quote to you! Thanks, Ted!

    I agree. I deal with members of the press who seem to be shocked and offended when I haven't heard of them. Here's a newsflash, buddy: just because you write for TIME magazine doesn't make you recognizable, nor does it give me power to bypass certain rules we have for qualifying you for a press badge for a certain event. There are very few periodical writers who are recognizable by name. Why should I be expected to keep track of them all? And then they give me a lot of attitude and act like they're much more important than me. Sigh...

    I have a coworker who last week got verbally abused by a senior vice president of a major television company. The man resorted to using belittling, profane words that had nothing to do with his argument and had an overwhelming sense of sarcasm in his tone. It was ridiculous.

    What ticks me off is that all these people end up getting press access anyway because of their "influence". Sigh....

    ReplyDelete