Thursday, February 19, 2009

Two remotes are better than one

From what I understand, one major flashpoint in some marriages is the television remote control.
My wife and I have never really had any fights over it, but I can imagine some people getting worked up over it. Since we almost exclusively watch things we have recorded on our TiVo, our only conflict with it occurs when the person who has the remote in their hand when a commercial break forgets to fast forward in a timely manner.

We inadvertently found a solution to this problem.

We've had our TiVo for almost 4 years, and have had the same remote all this time.
Lately, it has developed a problem where when you press the power button, it sends the command twice; if you wanted to turn the TV on, it will do so, then immediately turn it back off. If you want to turn the TV off, the inverse happens.

I ordered a new remote from TiVo, but some of the buttons have just a bit different functionality, and so the old remote ended up laying around instead of being tossed in the garbage bin.

And then it happened - one night, while watching a show, Amy had the new remote in her hand, and had forgotten to start fast forwarding the commercials. I grabbed the old remote off our end table and began to fast forward myself. Amy jumped, realizing that she had the remote in her hand, and yet the TV had begun fast forwarding seemingly on its own. Then she realized I had the old remote, and we have had television watching bliss ever since. (Except when I am watching "How its Made" or "Mythbusters". She hates those shows...)

No comments:

Post a Comment